Well, working really does suck, but thank you everyone for your sweet support of even my most self-indulgent whingeing. I will be working from home one day a week and that will help. I pump 3x a day at work and so far I have not seen a steady decrease-- indeed on Thursday I saw a slight uptick in production over the first day, so I will continue my current plan. If worse comes to worst I realized that I can resume my middle-of-the-night pumpings, which will always yield a few extra ounces each time. I have been doing this for three months. I can continue for another three.
Before I go any further, if you haven't already, please stop by Robbie & Trina's blog to offer them support & love. What they are going through is unfathomable to me, and they really can use all the positive thoughts and support that they can get. What is amazing to me is how much there is out there. For the most part the ttc blogs are governed by cycles of hope and disappointment, good news and progress reports... and then of course the babies. But once in a while someone has truly awful news, beyond the disappointment of a failed cycle. Without fail, the blogging world has provided these people with tremendous support ranging from warm words to in-the-flesh gifts-- of time, money, support or what-have-you. And even though Linus is a fighter, the pain that Robbie & Trina are experiencing as they watch their tiny son struggle for life is just beyond imaginable. They need your love.
I have so much to write, so little time!
1. Jacques, Part Deux
Yesterday, as noted by 2C1H, was our conception anniversary. Speedy and I were ruminating on the loss of our donor (given how perfect The Boy is, we've been sort of kicking around the idea of #2 with increasing intention). On a whim, I called CCB to find out that there was one-- ONE-- vial newly available. I was third on the notification list and no one had yet been called. I snapped it up, of course, even though that means paying for storage for a year at least. Does anyone have any ideas on how to procure more? I have already solicited on both CCB's sibling registry and the Other donor sibling registry. Any other ideas? It does feel kind of "fated" (whatever. Y'all know I don't believe in fate or anything else, but you know what I mean.) that we serendipitously stumbled upon this small treasure exactly a year after The Boy was conceived.
2. Running Away
In a month we are putting our apartment on the market. We love this apartment. We have poured so much money and time into making it beautiful and homey. We have the coveted set-up: A two-bedroom a mere block from the park in Brownstone Brooklyn. Windows on two sides. A back yard. Washer-dryer in the apartment. A kitchen that cooks dream of. And a pimped out bathroom. But we have outgrown the space. The Boy comes into a family of 4 dogs and 4 cats. And no amount of vacuuming and dusting can change the fact that there is an animal on every soft surface-- all too often leaving us humans with only our cheap Ikea kitchen chairs to sit on. We are bursting at the seams. And we want to simplify. To get out of the 12-hour days and endless cycle of hectic work weeks leading to weekends overstuffed with errands and long-neglected friends. I am going to miss those friends above everything, even above the fantastic bagels and cappuccinos and the wine store that is just perfect. But the lure of cashing out this place, buying a place with almost no mortgage, getting rid of our consumer debt and my student loans, and living for our family rather than working to pay someone else to walk our dogs, take care of our kid and clean our house... is just too great. I want to have time to cook again, to garden, to walk my own dogs and to wake up in the morning and snuggle in with Speedy...and decide not to get up.
3. On PC birth, diapering, parenting
This is a place holder. I want to blog about this with some depth later on. There are a few things that come into play here, and strong opinions on every side:
unmedicated birth
cloth diapering
breastfeeding
co-sleeping
There is so much to be said here re: pressures and fashions-- what's real and what's not, and how women specifically are held to these standards by which they are-- or believe they will be-- judged. And what BS it all is. More on that later.
Oh yeah and NGP v. GP stuff. I promise to get very deep.
4. The Boy
Is perfect. What else do you need to know? Also, much less of a turnip these days. More of a human. See evidence, below.

I can't wait to read the bookmarked section! All in good time.
ReplyDeleteI understand the longing to move out of metropolis. It's the hour-long lines for pretty much anything in SF that make me often wonder if moving to Marin wouldn't be the end of the world. So kudos to your decision to hightail it to higher ground. I get it. Jonas, of course, is beautiful.
Aw, the boy is precious. Looking forward to your upcoming posts, especially the one about moving/simplifying your life. We have that conversation quite frequently, even though we are fortunate enough to be able to have DW stay home with baby. City life is less appealing now that we have a little one...
ReplyDeleteYEAH! Does this mean you might be headed our neck of the woods? (or at least the western part of our world??) Even the boston area feels 100x slower than NY. The transition was hard for me at first, but Ive grown to love it!
ReplyDeleteOh, back to work. I am so sorry. Have you seen this chart: http://www.apesma.asn.au/women/maternity_leave_around_the_world.asp
ReplyDeleteOn second hand, don't. It will only tick you off.
Running away sounds like heaven. We've got a LOT of open space. And, well, ice, but you can't have everything.
Oh, and he is definitely perfect, and a bit sassy looking, too.
So much going on! We talk about fleeing Manhattan for Brooklyn, but I think that's as far out of the "city" as we could get (although I do sometimes fantasize about a house with a yard and neighbors far enough away you can't hear them through the walls). The boy is indeed quite human (and adorable!). I totally support thinking about #2.
ReplyDeletelots happening! i don't blame you for believing you'll miss, of all things, that delicious bagel & the coffee shop (i wholeheartedly agree, btw--both are fabulous). it'll be a nice destination when you return for visits and you'll ruminate fondly on your past city-living self.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful baby boy! Looking forward to the posts ahead!
ReplyDeleteHoly moly, he's adorable!! Any idea where you're going to be moving? I def can't blame you for wanting to get out of the Greater NYC area. There are certainly perks of being here, but we also plan on moving once the time comes to start a family.
ReplyDeleteAnd a gorgeous little human at that!
ReplyDeleteI often weigh the pros and cons of leaving the city for a simpler and more affordable life. Truth be told, I'm scared of the burbs and country around here but I'd happily do it if I lived in your part of the world. I hope your transition is super smooth.
I too can't wait to read the coming post.
What a cutie. I hope work is getting easier, and that your sleep is too. xo
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of quitting the rat race. I'm very excited for you guys.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky (or whatever) to stumble upon one lucky vial. Here's to lots more falling in your lap, but only needing the one!
More pics of the cutie pie, please. :)
The Boy is perfect, indeed. I can't wait to read your posts on the placeholder topics.
ReplyDelete