Monday, October 31, 2011

And another week bites the dust...

You guys.  I feel like it's been months since I've been able to write a good blog entry about what's been going on.  It's been seven months since we started gearing up to sell our co-op in Brooklyn.  Seven months since we started shuttling things into storage. Seven months since we've felt our house was our home.  And still the saga continues.

We've closed on our co-op, and have paid off my student loans (can I have a halle-fuckin'-lujah?!) and our consumer debt and put a chunk of change in the bank (a local non-whoop-de-doo bank, thanks) but we're still in a lead-painty, chipping and peeling paint house.  And our power went out for two days thanks to an October snow storm (Welcome to New England, yo!) And we're still keeping The Boy in one well-vacuumed and duct-taped room.  We fetch things we want out of boxes on an as-needed basis, and the cats are going stir-crazy from their confinement because we haven't bothered erecting a cat-proof fence so they're stuck indoors.  And my computer died an ignoble death so Speedy and I are temporarily sharing her laptop while I  figure out what to do to replace it.

It is exhausting and demoralizing.

But.  I spend almost all day every day with The Boy and Speedy and I eat together every morning and every night, spend every weekend and many weekdays together.  Our family has become re-centered, and we have made some important decisions.  To value our life over our lifestyle.  To never ever spend more than we can pay. To work less and be with each other. To travel, even if it means we can't buy fancy sheets and matching dishes.  It feels good.

If only we can clear this final hurdle, and find a real home, where we can unpack and put The Boy down and let him run as he loves to do.  We think (hold your breath) we may have found the place for us.  But we need bank approval and all that.  It's not a sure thing, but I'm holding onto it, because it's been seven months since I've had even that much.

And The Boy, oh my god.  The Boy is running now.  Like a maniacal midget, ten months old and cannot be stopped, or even slowed.  I barely remember those too-short baby days now that he is a full-fledged toddler.  And how I love him even more every day.  Oh, yes.

11 comments:

  1. It is so hard not to have a place to call home. We lived that for a few months, and it was just hard. That said, there seems to be a lot of beauty in what you're living now. I am hoping the best for this new place for you and that you're able to unpack your boxes and watch your boy run to his heart's content very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry things are so difficult home-wise right now, but your goals are spot on. I hope things work out for you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RG. It is crazy how many similarities our moves have: A move to an idyllic-apparing place in the country...lesbian mom landlords...serious health hazards for children...landlords turn out to be clueless and uncaring...computers dying and shared laptops...living out of boxes, and searching valiantly for new homes. I am drawing inspiration from your family! So far, at least our cats have remained with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, let the settled peace feeling come soon! I hope things work out for you guys with the new place. When you say running, do you mean...running? Because if so, that is seriously impressive, and kind of nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write in sympathy as I sit in my living room, next to a toilet we removed 5 months ago that has been in the living room for that long. It sucks... I'm glad that you have re-centered on home and family though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Yikes! Oh, I really hope this lovely new house comes through and you guys can finally exhale and feel at home. But the re-centering sounds pretty amazing - tough times are pretty good at doing that. Sending lots of good house luck thoughts to you & Speedy & the maniacal midget xxxxh

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, half bliss, half chaos!
    but you know what? CONGRATUFUCKINGLATIONS on paying off student debt. oh, elusive dream...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thrilled for you guys! What inspiring changes you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think of you often. I love how you describe the Boy. This has been a really intense year of changes for your family. It really boggles the mind, but it sounds like you are headed in a good direction. I just hope that you can find a better place so that you can feel like the pace can slow down a little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope you find a place to call home soon. sounds like your family has made some great decisions for all of you. baby chasing will be even more fun when the boy has more room to run wild!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. That definitely sounds like a mixed bag, glass in both half empty and half full type of thing. But I think it's awesome how family-centered you guys are now and how you can come to an agreement about your lifestyle like you did.

    And paying off the student debt? All I can do is sit here in awe. Awe. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.