We're here. We have left Brooklyn. It seems unbelievable, improbable-- crazy even. The reality is beginning to settle in, even as settling in for us seems to be impossibly out of reach.
On the up side is the location-- a lovely, friendly neighborhood abutting a wildlife sanctuary on one side, and walkable distance to town. And the dogs have their own "room"-- we have to use of our couch again. The Boy has a playroom (shared with the dogs) and we can eat in the kitchen without constantly battling back the encroaching canine beggars. (They just look wistfully through the glass door that separates them from us.)
But as quaint as old farmhouses are, they are drafty, moldy, full of hidden safety hazards. On our second day here we discovered that the paint is full of lead and the basement is full of mold. Now the windows and doors of the play room are covered in duct tape (at least we found white duct tape, a slightly less hideous look) but everywhere else he must be carried until we get our HEPA vacuum back and duct tape every flaking surface of every window and every door frame.
I have not-so-subtly hinted to directly and repeatedly pleaded with my mother to come help us-- just to watch the Boy while we unpack some boxes, assemble the crib, do the things it takes two people with two hands each to do, but she does not seem to understand the difficulty we are facing trying to do this on our own. I am beginning to wonder-- did she have kids? I know she did-- I am here, of course-- but does she remember doing everything one-handed? How impossible it can be to do the simplest thing-- switch a load of laundry-- if you have to watch the child at all times?
I know we will get through this part. I know in a couple of weeks it will be all better, but damn. This is crazy. And looming in my mind is the fact that we will have to do this all again in a year when we find a place to buy (not this place, for sure.)
The Boy, for his part, loves the new space though he hates being constantly constrained to one room or being carried. He's walking like an old pro now and wants to show off his skills whenever possible. He gets frustrated with us treating him like a baby and carrying him around all the time.
Though I am not working at the moment, with the space in chaos and the need to be constantly carrying he boy, I feel like I can't take advantage of the extra time in any meaningful way. But it does feel lovely waking up each morning to see trees outside our window, to hear the blue jays in the morning, the crickets at night.
Though I am not working at the moment, with the space in chaos and the need to be constantly carrying he boy, I feel like I can't take advantage of the extra time in any meaningful way. But it does feel lovely waking up each morning to see trees outside our window, to hear the blue jays in the morning, the crickets at night.
welcome to town! moving sucks..and Im sorry you guys dont have an extra pair of hands to help out. We've had my mom in town this week, and aren't even moving and I dont know what we would have done without her...When you are ready for a trip to "The City" let us know, we can assemble the boston-bloggers for a get-together..the perfect opportunity for the boy to show off his new skills :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your move! I know firsthand how hard it is with a young baby (Sadie was 6 months old) and we found surprises too. It was so stressful and we still have unpacked boxes. =P
ReplyDeleteHow bad is your mold issue? If it isn't too bad there is a natural product that they sell at Ho.me De.pot that you spray, allow to sit for overnight and then wipe away. I can't remember the name but it's in a blue and green bottle.
you probably know this by now, but in MA it's the landlord's responsibility to remove lead paint and pay for your hotel while it's done. i had a friend move into a place with a small child and while her landlord wasn't happy, he did make it right. with that said, one box at a time. enjoy this crisp fall air and you'll have a long winter to make the place feel like home a little bit more each day. welcome!
ReplyDeleteMetalstork: even if we signed a disclaimer saying that they didn't know if there was lead ( which is ridiculous since you can buy tests for $2!) because this is potentially huge for us. There is not enough duct tape to make me 100% comfortable with lead.
ReplyDeleteWow, congrats on the move! Good luck getting everything unpacked with a munchkin underfoot--you'll get there eventually. I've been lurking for a while, and it sounds like the improvement in quality of life is worth the short-term chaos of moving.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, the whole lead thing is horrendous. I'm so sorry. That would make me quite upset. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteSo your landlord had you sign a form saying the lead content is unknown and then you found out about it? Not sure I understand:(
Anyway, thank some higher power for white duct tape I guess. You have to cover all the paint with it? What happens next? Double ugh!
Maybe you should be less subtle with your mom and demand she gets down there immediately.
I hope you get unpacked soon and things settle down.
Take care:)
PS can you hire a sitter for a few hours a week to watch the boy while you get organized?
Congrats on the move. The one time we hired movers, we lost our vacuum too. Perhaps there is a giant truck just full of people's vaccuums stolen by movers?
ReplyDeletei hate moving, but once you get all settled in, you can relax and enjoy even more of the country pleasures!
ReplyDeletetireegal, Yes, hey made us sign a disclosure, which is standard in NY so we thought nothing of it. I ordered the tests myself after we signed the lease. However, on metalstork's advice, I checked out MA law and it turns out that they ARE responsible for removing the lead, disclosure or not... and we can get free comprehensive and official lead testing that they must comply with. We like our landlords, but this is not a situation that we are going to take lightly, even if we have to move out temporarily while they fix it! Ugh... what a pain though!
ReplyDeleteI have also asked some area people about recommended babysitters since my mother is deaf to my pleas.::(
sorry JUST checking back in. i'm glad you found that compliance is mandatory. hopefully they've already started taking care of it. you might need to stay somewhere else for a few nights? you're always welcome to stay here but we probably have lead paint too! keep us posted.
ReplyDelete