The last week has really been a whole new game. I finally feel like I am getting a handle on this newborn thing.
The week did not start out auspiciously. JD and I both got a cold, but it wasn't an all-out incapacitating illness. Just enough to make the sleepless nights a little more hellish. This impelled Speedy & I to change our sleeping situation-- we had been trading off "sleeping" upstairs on the couch with Jonas-- which was essentially an endless cycle of hour-up/hour-down waking and sleeping, changing and feeding against the backdrop of endless episodes of Seinfeld*. But the cold meant I wanted to be in bed, which meant that Jonas was going to test drive the bassinet in the bedroom that he had abandoned with extreme prejudice several weeks ago. And all of a sudden, our little nighttime peeper became a nighttime sleeper. The first night it was two hours down, on hour up (which was an improvement, believe it or not.) Then three hours. Then last night, FOUR stinkin' hours!! Granted, he woke up at 5:30 after going down from 11-3 and then down again at 3:30, but wow-- what a refreshing stretch that was! At 6 I took him into bed to nurse where he stayed for the next two hours without so much as a peep. *I* had to get him up when it was time to get moving with the day's chores.
I have also been tracking his daytime sleeping and it turns out he does have a pattern emerging-- he's a 3-4 naps a day kinda guy, but now I know vaguely when they might happen. And when he's fussing, I now have a way of figuring out that it might be naptime crankiness setting in, which is a whole new power (and a very important one with such a wee little dictator who doesn't speak English!)
And on the eating front-- I have 8 whole ounces in the fridge and 3 in the freezer, which indicates that my production is actually outstripping his needs! I couldn't be happier. Now if only I could find a way to get off the grueling every-three-hours pumping schedule I am on, especially since he is now sleeping longer than that. Suggestions are welcome.
Speedy has returned to work, which sucks. It makes us both even more tired and even crankier. I am not going to lie and say things have been roses here. We have definitely had our ugly moments, but I think that is to be expected. The important thing is that we are strong enough and love each other enough to weather the moments of exhaustion and frustration and general lashing-outness that happens when one or both of us has had only a few hours' sleep and the demands of our daily lives have just just doubled with the latest addition to our pack.
Oh, and we were wondering if his 1/4 Korean genetics were evident, but our housecleaner put that to rest when she came in last week, picked him up, and in her big laughing Trinidadian way, said, "Look! He got Chiney eyes!"
*A kind friend loaned us ALL NINE SEASONS, which is pure gold as far as I am concerned, since I stopped watching TV at around the time Seinfeld ended, so it remains the pinnacle of sit-com mindlessness for me.

those cheeks! so adorable!
ReplyDeleteI love that picture. I had forgotten that he is 1/4 Korean! Love it. My 9 yr-old stepson speaks Korean, and he thoughtfully taught me the word for "fart" today. Things to look forward too :) Congrats on getting more of a schedule down and for re-living the early nineties sitcom-style.
ReplyDeleteHoly cute! Sounds like you're having a hell of a time :)
ReplyDeleteHe is so cute! Sounds like things are getting into a groove. It's nice when that happens :) In terms of the schedule, I remember getting the okay not to wake the baby at night to eat at around a month (from both the pediatrician and my lactation consultant). Since your supply is established, I think you'd be fine letting him wake you up when he wants to eat.
ReplyDeleteSorry to spam, but I checked my blog and it was at around the 2 week mark that the lactation consultant said I didn't need to keep to a schedule at night. Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteI see a little Korean in him! I got a new student yesterday who's 1/2 Korean, and I see similar features in him. JD just keeps getting cuter! I'm so glad you're getting a handle on things and that they are getting easier for all of you! Yay for milk production! That's spectacular. More photos please when you have time (ha).
ReplyDeleteOh, love me some Seinfeld, too. C and I were just talking yesterday about Valnderlay Industries. :)
ADORABLE!
ReplyDeleteBoo on colds, but YAY for sleeping and milk supply! And he is so cute, I love his little blobbly pudgy baby self!
ReplyDeleteyeah for schedules....things to look forward to I guess :) When did you start pumping? I am hoping to start next week so W can do the middle-of-the-night-feed and give me 6 glorious hours of uninterrupted sleep. Ive heard mixed things about when is too early to start.....
ReplyDeleteGlamcookie, Thanks! I am hoping to make a more reasonable schedule for myself soon. I will definitely ask my LC about this at the next clinic.
ReplyDeletee, I started pumping right away because I had supply problems and had to get it up-- I had no choice but to give him the bottle at a week and a half-- and it was fine! Most of what I have heard is wait until about 5-6 weeks to introduce the bottle to avoid "nipple confusion" but I have also heard from real LCs that nipple confusion is actually pretty rare. Six hours sleep! That sounds liek bliss!
So glad to hear the sleep thing is now happening at your house! Thanks for your lovely thoughts - xxxxxh
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear things are smoothing themselves out. Jonah is adorable.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're getting a smidgin more sleep over there. That picture is insane. So frickin cute.
ReplyDelete