Despite dire predictions about the fate of our pets [sometimes I kill me: I originally wrote "poets" instead of pets... as if the fate of our literary world somehow had hinged upon our baby] after the baby's debut, our dogs and cats have not suffered...well, no, that's not entirely true. Once, in the newborn period, when nights and days blended into the murky poop-and-nurse-athon that never seemed to end or even pause, Oyster got herself out the door into the building and, her absence unnoticed, spent a night inside but in the hallway by herself. I guess that was suffering of a sort, and I definitely blame Jonas for that.
But other than that, the animals still have it pretty good. We still make their food, we still walk the dogs twice a day every day-- rain or snow or what-have-you. They have never skipped a meal or been forgotten or neglected for more than a couple of hours (yesterday morning the dogs did not get breakfast until Jonas finished nursing, was changed, and finished nursing #2, changing #2 and was sleeping in his swing-- about 11:30).
The cats likewise have not been disadvantaged by the baby. In fact, they have many more places to hang out (bouncy seats and bassinets are their favorites) and more toys to play with (rattles, dangling mobiles). Lucas still sleeps on my pillow every night, and doesn't even protest when I have to move him to nurse Jonas in the middle of the night. Tinky jumps up in my lap while I am nursing and snuggles in for a double body warmer, from both me and Jonas. Oyster has been known-- though not encouraged-- to sit ON Jonas while he is hanging out in his bouncy chair. Neglectful parents that we are, we laugh and take pictures (which I will soon post) before shooing her away.
So, contrary to rumors, it is possible to have a baby AND still love your pets. I think one thing that worked to our advantage in this respect was that we never treated our animals like children. We love them as much as we possibly can, but they are animals and we treat them as such-- they have rules and we are in charge. The other thing is that we have so damn many animals that they have always had to cope with the limits of our ability to give them a ton of individual attention. Not that we have ever neglected them-- it's just that we don't lavish them with tons of pets and caresses every day, because if we did there would be no time for feeding and walking.
I am happy with the animal situation, though I am less tolerant of barking and other nuisances that I was never particularly fond of. Their walks have been a bit truncated, but they usually are in winter, because while the dogs love the snow and cold, I hate it. We have too many damn animals, and that is a fact. But we still love them all and care for them competently. And since this was a big worry for me while I was pregnant I am happy to say that the babies and pets myth has, for me, been thoroughly debunked.
In other pet-related news, Lolo my love needs another surgery...her first surgery was a success, but while she was recuperating from the operation on her right knee, she put a lot more pressure on her left knee, and, yes, the left knee blew. I love this dog to pieces, but she is so poorly built-- dogs were never meant to be 120 lbs., even though her size is one of the things that endows her with a humanlike quality and makes her even more huggable and lovable. I am less worried about this one, since the first one went well, but of course I will be a wreck when we take her in on Wednesday until I hear that she is out of surgery and recovering as expected. Wish us both luck!
In non-pet news, Jonas had his first vaccination-- we skipped Hep B, and opted for DTAP only at this past visit. He took it like a champ, and nursed through the pain. He is now 12.5 lbs., and solid. I wouldn't call him chunky necessarily (but he does have those chins!) but he's broad and dense and somewhat thug-like. He holds his head up well and is smiling (although he metes the smiles out carefully, as if there is a daily limit; he takes after me!) He still sleeps in 2-hour increments, but they are more predictable and reliable. I wake at 2, 4, 6 to feed and change him (actually changing is Speedy's job) and put him back to bed, where he goes to sleep pretty quickly. He is in his bassinet full time now, just in time for him to outgrow it and be relegated to the crib!
Can I just say how annoying I find the patronizing attitude some people have about pets? I was telling a college friend that we found out our cat has asthma and we have to give her an inhaler. She and her partner laughed at me and said wait til the baby's born. As if when the baby's born Tam and I won't be able to take 2 minutes out of each day to make sure our cat doesn't have another attack.
ReplyDeleteThis is from a couple with 2 cats and 2 dogs they keep locked in the sunroom. And yes, this is the same friend who, in all seriousness, made it a point to let me know that having a baby will change our lives. No shit Sherlock! Just because we're not like the aforementioned couple doesn't mean we don't understand that having a baby will drastically change our lives.
Anyways, thanks for this post.
Good luck with Lolo. I hope the surgery goes very well. Glad to hear that everyone (people and animals) are adapting well! I definitely do not believe having a baby and having pets are mutually exclusive. Just wait until Jonas is old enough to play with them- it's going to be so much fun!
ReplyDeleteWell, you know I've been waiting for this post. And that I had my eye out when visiting the other day. Your marvelous menagerie does seem very calm and happy and well-cared for. (I forgot to ask about the acupuncture needles I saw getting pulled out as I arrived....)
ReplyDeleteI hope our cats will do similarly well. Maybe you can send emissaries to give them a pep talk.
I too have been excitedly awaiting this update. Pets and children have never seemed to be a hard mix in my head but we've surly started getting the comments since the announcement of twins. It's nice to hear that all the hype about the oil and water outcome of the combination is well hype! Hope the surgery goes really well and looking forward to the bouncy chair photos.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your worst fears didn't come true. Those are some well cared for pets you have!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could say our animals haven't suffered a bit since the kids arrived but they have. They are still fed and let out to go to the bathroom but they are neglected compared to pre-baby. We have, on three occassions, left the dog outside and forgotten him. He's usually good about sticking around but if left for an extended peoriod, will take himself on a neighborhood tour. Bad news. One time we didn't even know he was missing until the vet hospital a maile away called to let us know someone had brought him in. BAD doggie moms.
We have recently started to exploit the animals for the sake of the children's entertainment. They love to have their toes licked by the dog and they love to bury there hands in the fat cat's fur. The pets are always a sure thing for quieting a fussy pants baby.
I'm happy to read this post too! I think people who say that you won't be able to handle the pets are the same people who like to tell you can't understand anything about parenthood until you're a parent. Thanks for posting this! I look forward to feeding our pets after the baby arrives as well!
ReplyDeletePeople get so overprotective when it comes to babies and pets. My sister has 5 cats, 2 dogs and a baby human, a lovely big tri-speciesial (!?) family!
ReplyDeleteI am super impressed, I wish I could say the same for Thali (our dog), who, to be fair, has self-selected to be banished downstairs to avoid night-time wakings...His walks have been shortened and he OFTEN doesnt get breakfast until 10ish (versus 7), but then again, it is in his (adorable) nature to remind us that he is "suffering" and therefor expects extra cuddle time when Izzy is sleeping..what are we to do, but oblige :)
ReplyDelete