If we thought the tech was not personable, the doctor was even worse-- he did not introduce himself, and merely stuck his head and one shoulder into the doorway, said, "Everything looks fine," and was already ducking out as we were still forming questions on our tongues.
Luckily, Speedy was able to get a CRL and a heart rate out of the tech-- not that the tech volunteered them-- we're at 5 cm and 160 bpm: hallelujah, my first heart rate! The nuchal fold was 1.3, which I understand to be well within normal, but I won't get the b/w results for another week or so. Speetus was measuring, according to the u/s, at 11w4d*, 2 days behind, but certainly within the margin of error, I think.
SO that was all good, as far as I know. We left with plenty of extra time to walk down to Korea town and eat bibimbop until we couldn't bear another bite. Then we walked to Union Square, before heading back to Brooklyn, picking up some Korean groceries and serving spoons from Fishs Eddy along the way. Then an odd thing happened: I don't know if it was the bibimbop or the belly expansion of the last few days, but a very sweet woman of about 25, who was dozing against her rolled-up yoga mat on the train, woke from her sleep, looked at me, and offered me her seat.
Today, I went from being not entirely convinced I was pregnant to being totally, completely, very pregnant indeed. I know anything can happen at any time, but I am ready to relax and believe.

So, New Orleans: I will let the photos speak for themselves, with one note in reply to questions: YES, we ate the grilled oysters at Acme, and yes, they were wonderful. We were trying to be budget conscious, so most of where we ate were hole-in-the-wall places recommended by residents who knew where to go. Boiled crawfish, collard greens, ettouffe, and pickled beets. Nothing fancy at all, but delicious to the last bite. We did go to Cafe du Monde for the requisite (and exquisite) cafe au lait and beignet. Mostly, we wandered and enjoyed every last leisurely minute of having nothing more pressing to do than entertain ourselves.
On our last night there, we went to my friend Elsa's house for dinner. Her husband made an amazing shrimp stew and we had it with spinach salad with dill and strawberries--- not a combination I would have tried myself, but it was simply wonderful. The pie took longer than we expected and Speedy and I had an early flight so we had strawberry ice cream instead, and caught a ride back to the Marigny neighborhood with Elsa's husband, who was going in to watch a band.
Since Speedy and I loved the neighborhood and wanted to walk a bit after dinner, we had Patrick drive to the bar where the band was playing and we walked to our B&B from there, about 8 blocks. The neighborhood is an interesting mixture of very lovely and well-kept creole houses side-by-side with dilapidated Katrina-destroyed shacks. It is not as touristy as the adjacent French Quarter, but is home to the big strip where the "real" music scene of New Orleans unfolds. There are coffee houses and bookstores and bike shops all in various states of genteel disintegration. speedy and I loved it, even though our B&B would not have withstood the white glove test by any stretch of imagination.
As we walked home we were talking about how New Orleans cats, unlike NYC cats or any other American city that we knew of, were self-sufficient and seemed to have their own lives. People on the blocks would put out food for them, but very few cats seemed to be owned or have permanent residences. They are all wiry and skittish and streetwise but not feral like the nearly wild cat populations in some areas of NYC.
As we were babbling and walking, something caught my eye and I stopped us both: huddled at the edge of the sidewalk, by the side of a house, was a tiny black furball of a kitten. As we approached, the kitten blindly hissed in our general direction, but it couldn't see us because its eyes were crusted shut from a terrible infection. Speedy threw her sweatshirt over it and picked it up. The poor thing was on the verge of starvation. when Speedy tried to open its eyes, there was so much crust and ous she couldn't.
I honestly can't say that we discussed what to do. There was no putting the kitten down and walking on. We tucked her in Speedy's sweatshirt, continued to the B&B, and made her a little nest in the bathroom. Speedy swiped some yogurt from the kitchen while I tried to decrust her eyes, and I was able to get the kitten to eat a bit and settle her down into a nest of towels while Speedy called Jet Blue about its animals on-board policies.
It was 11 p.m. by this time, and the only available flight that had space for animals left at 7 a.m. the next morning. Speedy switched her flight, figuring I would catch her later and save the switching fee**, and then we called Elsa who, with unquestioning kindness and generosity, drove us to the all-night WalMart in a vain search for a cat carrier. It turned out that the all-night WalMart closed at 10, so we went back to the B&B, cut some holes in one of the conference bags and hoped it would suffice. Needless to say, it did.
So... we have another cat. Oyster lives in our bathroom right now, as she is too little to be tested for the diseases she might be carrying, but she has grown into a real kitten after just a few days of feeding and cleaning. Her eyes are almost 100% better and she has put on 4 whole ounces- a third of her original weight! Her favorite thing to do is to hide behind a balled up socked or dropped towel and plot her ambush of any unsuspecting ankle that might happen to come too near. You can see the fur around her eyes is still spotty from where it came off with the scabs, but she is getting cuter every day.
* I just realized that this was based on the LMP date I gave them, not measurements. Because of the Foll.stim, the date would be short by 2 days.
** The next morning, Jet Blue put me on standby for free and I got on the godawful early flight with no problem.

Coffee and beignets and baby bump.

Lovely houses.

Boiled crawfish and beer!

Grilled oysters.

Fuzzy Oyster!
Baby! Darling kitten! Oysters! Beignets! There is much to love in this post. :) I would have brought her home in a shopping bag, too, poor little thing. And speetus looks great. :)
ReplyDeleteWe got our last kitten in a similar fashion. How could you have resisted that poor baby?
ReplyDeleteThe u/s tech and doc sound awful!! But that heartrate and growth sound perfect. As you likely know, 2 days behind is meaningless as size is just an estimate in the early months. Most techs will measure a bit large just to be reasuring but I doubt your tech would be that thoughtful. Yay for Speedus! You guys are almost out of the 1st trimester.
I'm so glad to hear your scan went well! I'm having mine tomorrow and was thinking about you doing yours today. Exhale...right?
ReplyDeleteAND...Speetus looks like a baby now! Yay!
Your trip sounded fantastic. So did the food! That little kitten hit the jackpot when you two walked by. :) She is so damn adorable, even with her scabby eyes.
12 weeks tomorrow, Schroe. Congratulations. :)
Wow. You have been so busy lately. Great news about the baby. Sorry the staff was so incredibly rude to you, but who cares about them. Youve got a baby, with a very normal hb! I couldnt be happier for you, and your almost out of the 1st trimester.
ReplyDeleteIm totally not a cat person, but that cat is pretty cute. How sweet of you two to rescue it.
It looks like you had a WONDERFUL time in New Orleans. Im glad you got a lil break.
I'm so glad you are reassured and feeling very pregnant. Great news about all the reports! Go little Speedus! Your doctor sounds dreadful, though - are you stuck with this team? I sure hope not.
ReplyDeleteGRILLED oysters - why didn't I think of that?! I was just wondering how the hell I was going to make it through the summer without eating oysters. Genius.
i'm so happy speetus is looking fantastic. and little oyster's story broke my heart. i'm so glad she's going to be a brooklynite!
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys were able to hit Acme and CafĂ© Du Monde. Those are really the essentials of any NO visit, I think. I’m so glad you guys were able to rescue Oyster! Poor little thing! But she’s a Brooklyn girl now!
ReplyDeleteIt stinks that the u/s tech and dr were such dbags, but I’m so happy that Speetus is looking good! And whoever said it before is totally right – you’re getting close to the 2nd trimester. Can you believe it??
Aw! I'm so happy you saved Oyster from the streets of New Orleans!
ReplyDeleteCafe du Monde and Acme restaurant - so jealous! I loved New Orleans and will return for another visit. Fo Sho!
So happy Speedus is doing good!
That kitten is darling! Sorry about the rude service during the N/T scan, but very happy that everything looks good. That measurement is great btw. And ewwww...crawfish! ;-)
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness, look at that beautiful ultrasound photo!! congrats!!
ReplyDeleteAdd me to the list of people who wish I could have been eating in New Orleans with you. We were thinking about going this summer, but we decided to plan a Key West babymoon (hopefully!) in August instead. Neither one of us have been there.
ReplyDeleteOh, and Oyster is a doll as is the Speetus. Things are looking awesome!
ReplyDeleteI heart this post (with the exception of the crappy u/s tech and dr.)! Beautiful u/s pic, great NO pics, and adorable little Oyster kitty. Sounds like all is going just wonderfully!
ReplyDeleteThis post makes me exceedingly happy. You are pregnant, eating grilled oysters, beignets and cafe au lait in NOLA, and taking home a kitten? Can I live your life for a while? Love it, and am totally jealous. :)
ReplyDeleteI love that you flew that kitten home. You are good people, that is clear. She looks a lot like our baby when she was a kitten - similar color and fur-type. When we adopted her she had an eye infection so her eyes were all goopy too.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the asshole doctor and tech but I'm so glad everything is so fabulous with Speetus.
Wonderful that all is well with Speetus. And Oyster is just adorable. So what does this bring your total household animals to now?
ReplyDeleteWhat a lucky little Oyster! She's adorable.
ReplyDeleteAnd I second the question about whether you're stuck with this OB. Because I would seriously be shopping around after that kind of treatment. Glad things look good, though.
Brilliant news! I was haunting the blog hoping for an update.
ReplyDeleteThe girls loved the story about Oyster. Unsurprisingly our house is full of budding animal rights supporters. ;)
Since things seem to be going strong I wanted to ask if you would like me to spin/knit something as a gift for the little one. I can do traditional things, untraditional things, and all sorts of things in between.
Sorry the techs were so lacking in courtesy.
tbean- the household total at present is four cats, four dogs, me, Speedy and Speetus. Luckily the dogs are all very well behaved (except for the rat terrier, but that's their nature) and lazy. The cats on the other hand...let's just say they are responsible for most of the cursing that goes on up in here.
ReplyDeleteThe doctor-- UGH!-- he, thank goodness, is NOT my regular OB, and I intend to make sure he is just the Guy Who Reads Ultrasounds, because you are all right-- if there's a slight chance that he'll have anything to do with my continued care, or god forbid, labor and delivery, it is SO OVER. My OB is awesome in person, but is on Schroe-bation for failing to return two phone calls requesting the results of my fragile-x screening.
Carolyn-- thanks for the offer! I am glad your girls liked the story of Oyster. I actually had someone suggest I make it into a children's book. Not a bad way to stir the animal rights activist that lurks in almost every child-- glad yours have theirs so well-nurtured.
ReplyDeleteI am far too superstitious to think about actual THINGS for an eventual SpeedyTot at the moment-- it feels a little weird even telling people, like I should genuflect or cast a protective spell from evil spirits every time. (Funny coming from the devout atheist, no?) But IF you should find yourself inspired of course I would be so moved and grateful. Handmade things are always the most meaningful.
Hey--there's a baby in there! Great photo, and I'm so glad that you got a heart rate. Woo hoo!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got to do and eat so much in nola. Sounds like you had an incredible time! Oyster is wicked cute.
I've been wanting to comment every since I read this on my phone but couldn't! Trip sounds amazing. So happy everything is good with the baby. And little oyster...I mean, that is the cutest thing ever! Col totally fell in love with you and Speedy when I showed her the picture and told her the story of how you rescued her. If it was up to her our entire apt would be full of animals.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I don't think I ever said but I love the new blog layout!
What a great vacation and adorable kitten! Love her name too!
ReplyDelete