Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bullet-in

Oh the shame of being such a wayward blogger. I have to write in bullets because I have very little time and sort of a lot to catch up on.

- After my last update, my father called me (which he NEVER does) at 5:05 on my cell phone, leading me to suspect that he was hoping to leave a message, since I am very prompt about leaving work. But in this case, I was working late (woe is me, I know!) and so we had a very awkward conversation in which he kinda apologized for being a monumental ass, and, when pressed, admitted that my mother had shared the news with him, and that he was "looking forward to being a grandfather."

-I went to New Orleans and worked for-real 12-14 hour days under fluorescent lights that buzzed like cicadas.

-I spotted very lightly (mostly brown) on the third day I was there causing an utter freak-out that I have not quite recovered from.

-Speedy came down on the last day of the conference and we had an absolutely gorgeous 2 1/2 day vacation. We ate crawfish and oysters and beignets and when we got home we went out and split three large salads for dinner because we had not seen fresh veggies in days.

-We kind of accidentally picked up a tiny little kitten and brought her home with us. She really was at death's door when we found her huddled at the edge of the sidewalk, but now she is doing beautifully. I think we are keeping her. Her name is Oyster, after our favorite New Orleans food item. A fuller story (and pics) will be posted later.

-Thursday is my NT scan. I am scared that they will find that Speetus has quietly expired while I was busy shovelling fried food down my gullet.

-Meanwhile, in contradictory news, my belly has grown, though the weekly belly shots still do not show it as much as I can see-- and feel!-- it. If all goes well with the NT scan (i.e., we see a heartbeat and all looks on-target), I will come out to friends as I see/talk to them, and co-workers after I get the results back next week.

16 comments:

  1. Happy to see your updates. Sounds like all is well, though I sure remember that worry with every appointment.

    I'm looking forward to the kitty story! That is how our Casper came to us and we love him like crazy. Lucky little kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the updates! I'm so happy to hear that your dad called you! That made me tear up... seriously!

    Second - isn't new orleans amazing! Where did you eat the oysters from? While we were there we ate at this place that had grilled oysters and they were TO DIE FOR! So that's why I ask. ;)

    Did you go to cafe du monde? Wasn't it delicious?!

    Anyways - happy to hear things are progressing and I'm looking foward to the belly pics! Good luck to you on the NT scan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. new orleans sounds wonderful (minus the long work days!)

    cant wait to hear about the scan on thurs -- and perhaps see some pics??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new format and I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy yourself in New Orleans.

    I'm also looking forward to Oyster pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you can see, the consensus is we want pictures and stories!
    Glad to read you again - you have been missed. :)
    Hope the NT goes well for you - I have mine Friday afternoon. With a growing belly I'm sure Speetus is doing just fine!
    Glad to hear your father is reaching out also - albeit ackwardly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you posted! I've been wondering how you're doing. So happy you had a much-deserved good trip and time away. I'm jealous you found a little kittie! We keep talking about getting one for some company for the pup, but so far we've managed to talk ourselves out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of oysters? Did you guys go to Acme? (that's our fave place to eat in NO).

    I can't believe you brought home a kitten! You must share pics and story. Did the other animals protest, or are they used to it at this point?

    I love Speedtus' new nickname - I'm sure s/he is just fine! Glad you're getting a peek soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that things are going fairly well. And that your dad reached out. That's awesome.

    Congratulations on the new addition, too! I look forward to pictures. We are absolutely forbidden from getting a kitten any time soon (four cats is probably enough in a two bedroom apartment, methinks), so I like to enjoy them vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Orleans sounds marvelous. Happy to read all the news and I can’t wait to see an update about the scan on Thursday. Also looking forward to come kitty cuteness in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speetus (awesome moniker) is going to be perfect and beautiful- just you wait and see. Glad you had a good trip and I request a kitten picture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! to oysters (edible and feline). Glad to hear a brief update from you, and I love the new format. Good luck with the NT, I'm sure it's all that growing Speetus is doing that's making you bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, that must be how I got fat. I forget to eat the salad days after I gorge on the bad stuff!

    I'm glad you had a wonderful time in NO, I'm glad you found a cute kitty! Can't wait to meet Oyster!!

    Speedus is fine, I feel it in my bones.

    Love and fait

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so so happy your dad called. Sounds like the talk went about as well as it could have for now. That's awesome. Looking forward to great news from tomorrow's scan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. funny you speak of a kitten.. my sister in law called us to see if we want a kitten....

    we have 2 already.. and wanting a baby... lol.. i think oyster is a cute name for him.. very monumental

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.