Thanks for posting this. It does give me a bit of pause. I got the regular flu shot, but had decided against the swine flu shot (when it became available). Now, this case is extreme and she was a smoker--so she already had a compromised system and lungs--BUT. I have an appt. with the head of OB/GYN of Columbia tomorrow and I'm going to ask her what she thinks. It's so nerve wracking either way you go.
Very scary! Our govt is about to make the swine flu vaccine available and are encouraging pregnant women to get it. I wasn't keen, but was going to talk to my doctor about it anyway. We're heading out of flu season now, so hopefully the risk is very low.
Pufferfish, I'll be interested to hear what your Ob/Gyn said about it.
Scary stuff! Wow! I am awaiting Pufferfish's wisdom too. I think if I get pregnant I want the shot but am worried that it has not really been extensively tested and may cause birth defects, etc.
Yikes, how scary! I got the seasonal flu vaccine because there are posters up EVERYWHERE at my clinic advising patients to get it. I'm still undecided on the H1N1 vaccine. I'll probably just skip it since flu season is winding down.
I just noticed you are not on my blogroll so I'm going to add you! I have some catching up!
I find it kind of ironic that they are saying no health risks accept a smoking habit. When it comes to LUNGS that would be a pretty big health risk.
My doctor is an infectious disease specialist as well as an OB. He has been to conferences in our capital on the topic and he is 100% recommending it to his patients. I'll get it. I hate that this is happening NOW but I feel it is the best choice. As long as you get the adjuvant free version it isn't much different from getting a seasonal flu shot.
I hadn't seen this article. It's really scary taking a new vaccine that you feel has been rushed. But then more scary knowing your immune system is compromised when pregnant. A hard decision. Lots of people in blogland have been posting about this, and I guess it's up to each person to decide. I for one will get the vaccine in the next couple of weeks. But I've always been a fan of vaccinations and have got the regular flu shot for years. And I'm not pregnant yet. Maybe I would decide differently if I was.
Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.
Thanks for posting this. It does give me a bit of pause. I got the regular flu shot, but had decided against the swine flu shot (when it became available). Now, this case is extreme and she was a smoker--so she already had a compromised system and lungs--BUT.
ReplyDeleteI have an appt. with the head of OB/GYN of Columbia tomorrow and I'm going to ask her what she thinks.
It's so nerve wracking either way you go.
Hey--I'll see you tomorrow as well!!
Hooray! I am really looking forward to it.
ReplyDeleteVery scary! Our govt is about to make the swine flu vaccine available and are encouraging pregnant women to get it. I wasn't keen, but was going to talk to my doctor about it anyway. We're heading out of flu season now, so hopefully the risk is very low.
ReplyDeletePufferfish, I'll be interested to hear what your Ob/Gyn said about it.
Scary stuff! Wow! I am awaiting Pufferfish's wisdom too. I think if I get pregnant I want the shot but am worried that it has not really been extensively tested and may cause birth defects, etc.
ReplyDeleteYikes. Who knew? I am planning on getting a regular shot, but had no idea what was going on with N1H1 shot. Good to know, Keely.
ReplyDeleteI was on the fence, but my OB highly recommended both vaccines.
ReplyDeleteYikes, how scary! I got the seasonal flu vaccine because there are posters up EVERYWHERE at my clinic advising patients to get it. I'm still undecided on the H1N1 vaccine. I'll probably just skip it since flu season is winding down.
ReplyDeleteI just noticed you are not on my blogroll so I'm going to add you! I have some catching up!
ReplyDeleteI find it kind of ironic that they are saying no health risks accept a smoking habit. When it comes to LUNGS that would be a pretty big health risk.
My doctor is an infectious disease specialist as well as an OB. He has been to conferences in our capital on the topic and he is 100% recommending it to his patients. I'll get it. I hate that this is happening NOW but I feel it is the best choice. As long as you get the adjuvant free version it isn't much different from getting a seasonal flu shot.
I hadn't seen this article. It's really scary taking a new vaccine that you feel has been rushed. But then more scary knowing your immune system is compromised when pregnant. A hard decision. Lots of people in blogland have been posting about this, and I guess it's up to each person to decide.
ReplyDeleteI for one will get the vaccine in the next couple of weeks. But I've always been a fan of vaccinations and have got the regular flu shot for years. And I'm not pregnant yet. Maybe I would decide differently if I was.