Monday, October 26, 2009

On Ghana



A couple of people have asked what the hell I am doing going to Ghana (in not so many words). The short answer is: I have the world's coolest mom. I owe all of my adventure-seeking and wanderlust to her.

The longer answer is: My mother, WCM, went to Ghana a few years ago and has wanted to go back and revisit some of the cool stuff she did and explore some of the stuff she didn't get to do the first time (when she took my sister-in-law). She did NOT want to go with my wet-blanket father and so she recruited me, essentially, to be her travel companion. Which was about as hard as giving away free beer to a college student.

WCM: ...do you want to go?
Me: YES, duh!


So, WCM has a couple of contacts in Ghana and we generally share the same goals and interests in travel: People: yes! Food: yes! Wildlife: YES! Shopping: Nah. Museums: Bleh. Cities: Feh.

So with those loose parameters, and a general sense that it's easier to make decisions as we go along rather than try to stick to some itinerary dreamed up in a cubicle 5,123 miles away, we are go to see what we want to do when we get there.

It will involve street food, public transportation, "rustic" accommodations, wildlife, hiking and volunteering. It will not include hotels of any star-ranking, private drivers, chartered flights, museums or a great deal of unnecessary shopping, save for the fantastic fertility doll like this:


Other than that, I don't know. I hope to see lots of monkeys, maybe even a chimpanzee, an elephant, hippos and if I am super lucky, a African Wild Dog.

About 10 years ago, WCM and I went to Zimbabwe and Zambia for a very posh safari tour, which was altogether different but also lovely. This time I expect that the accommodations will be a bit rougher but the company will be a bit better (those safari camps are full of rich old white bloviaters.)

In any case, I am really looking forward to it. Two weeks already seems too short.

In ttc news, those freakin' receptionists at my RE's office SUCK. Last week they said to call this week to find out my protocol for when I get back. Today, the little girl who answered the phone was all, "Well, they'll just tell you when you come in." And I was all, "Really?! There is NO WAY for me to know beforehand." And she was all (I could hear her blinking) "Um, I don't think so."

... You can imagine how this went. I bullied her into taking my number to give to a nurse to call me back but I am not expecting a call. I will call again in about 45 minutes and give someone else a new orifice.

5 comments:

  1. wow...the trip sounds like it is going to be *amazing*! your ma definitely wins the coolest mom award!

    hope you can get some answers from your RE, wth?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like she was filling in for someone's lunch break. Your right to call back they have had your info long enough to know exacty how they want to proceed.

    Ride an elephant are two for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That trip sounds majorly exciting! Fern studied abroad in west Africa in college - Senegal - and I'm so jealous of her experiences there. I'm with you on food being at the top of travel priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome trip. It sounded so good my feet started itching just reading it!

    As for not knowing your protocol, I vote for ringing and bugging them until you find out. It must be annoying when you're paying for a service and the nurses/receptionists are unhelpful. I've read a few people's bogs who are experiencing that lately.

    Back to Ghana - thanks for posting about what you're doing. I feel very jealous and will be hanging out to see some photos when you get back. Enjoy the time with your mum - especially roughing it together, eating great food and experiencing a different culture. Sounds amazing! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your travel priorities 100%!
    I have a friend who studied in Ghana and loves it! ( yeah, I know that's not really helpful information!)
    Your mom is really cool!
    The receptionists and nurses probably won't know anything because the doctor will probably be keeping it to himself until he deigns to tell you. Good luck blowing the hired help a new upsadaisy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.