Gf and I are takin' off tomorrow for five days in Guanajuato. Gf will be spaying and neutering dogs as a volunteer for Amigos de los Animales, a dog/cat animal rescue/humane organization there. The rest of the time we will be checking out the city and doing our holiday shopping. (Well, I will, as gf dos not celebrate Xmas.)
Still high on Obama, I am. For the first time in a decade I will be kinda proud to say where I am from. (When I traveled to Zambia 10 years ago, the typical response to finding out that I was American was, "oh! Bill-Clinton-Monica-Lewinsky!!" which was invariably followed by peals of laughter. I was bemused by the fact that the essence of my national identity had been reduced to a stain on a blue dress. But that was nothing compared to the mortification I felt in admitting I was American during the Bush years.)
En otro chisme... The great dane mix gf and I have been nursing back to health may be (fingers crossed) mine by the end of the day. Her owner had her back for less than 24 hours and couldn't handle the constant peeing and attention required. I love this dog and would do anything for her-- even get up every three hours throughout the winter to let her pee. Maybe I wouldn't be a bad mom.
I know what you mean--I've never done the "I'm a Canadian" thing or put another country's flag on my backpack, but I've taken those time to educate others on the 50/50 nature of our country. Most of them are already keenly aware that the ones who are traveling are not the ones who voted for Bush.
ReplyDeleteOn the Great Dane--wow, that's one big dog and that's a huge commitment. You certainly will be a great mom!