Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chart Start

Sorry for the shortage of posts. I got sucked into Renovating Hell (Purgatory, one of my friends reminded me; at least you have the sense that while it FEELS like forever, there is an end. Somewhere.)

Gf's ex, a carpenter by trade, did so many effed-up things to her apartment it is actually a wonder we are still alive. A few random things that stick out for me:

She installed the bathtub backwards-- the drain on one side and the faucet on the other. The thing was, it was a SYMMETRICAL tub-- it's not that she bought the wrong tub and decided to do it that way to save herself the return. Somehow, she DECIDED to do it that way.

She cut through ("notched in") 6 STRUCTURAL beams that are there to keep the upstairs floor....up. To put up a sheetrock wall for a laundry room. These were not little cuts; she removed a good half or more of the full thickness of the beams. Again: there was no justification for doing this. She could have easily shortened the sheetrock.

Speaking of the laundry room, she constructed an illegal laundry room and bathroom in such a way as to use 2 of 4 downstairs windows, leaving a bedroom windowless, while the bathroom and laundry room were blessed with natural light.

Oh yeah. Gf says, "I'm trying not be angry any more," and I'm like, "But *I* am!!"

But that aside. I realize to stay with the start date of July and to have a good amount of charting data, I should have started this morning. That opportunity missed, it shall be tomorrow. Any advice? Does anyone suggest doing a few trials of OPK at this time?

4 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like HELL.

    About your charting: the thing that concerns me is the 2:30am wake up time. How many more hours do you sleep--really 100% into the sleep--do you get after that?
    It could make a big difference is what I've been told.
    But hey, try it. Just do it at the same time every morning before you get out of bed or do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A backwards bathtub? That's crazy!!

    Yeah, the 2:30 am wake up does make temping tricky.

    As for OPK's, I found them very helpful in pinpointing ovulation. Perhaps not the first month of temping though. You gotta ease yourself into these things. Buy yourself a big batch of cheap ones on the web and start in February or March. Assuming your cycles are pretty regular you should have a good sense of things by then and will be able to use the OPK's to confirm O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I didn't even think about that. I get up at about 6:30 after the 2:30 a.m. walk. Maybe this is a good excuse to make gf do it more often ;)

    You know what's crazy? Installing the switch to the overhead lights in the living room in the broom closet! Now, THAT'S crazy!

    Luckily, I am laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Renovations ARE hell. They are NOT purgatory, they are HELL. They don't ever really END, because you always find more jacked-up stuff... you just leave HELL for a while, and end up coming back later.

    WHY would you remove half the thickness of a beam designed to support your house?! That is just... wow. That's truly stupid.

    Ours was pretty nightmarish as well... the bathroom was a NIGHTMARE. An absolute nightmare! Some people should just never, EVER, be allowed near construction tools, ya know?

    BTW, now that my rant is finished... HI! I'm Jana!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.