Monday, November 3, 2008

Getting healthier

Gf and I have decided that in addition to implementing the new austerity measures like limiting dinners out and wine consumption to make up for the expense of renovating and my roommate bailing on me, we should take this opportunity to cut back on bad-for-us things in general as a way of gilding the lily-strewn path toward pregnancy, a la Puffer's suggestion. My coffee consumption is now limited to 2 cups in the morning now-- decaf tea after that. Lemon Zinger or Lemon Lane? I prefer zinger. Sometimes a Peppermint Medley if I'm feelin' a lil crazy...This makes me loopy. Thank goodness I got an extra hour to loll in bed this morning.
But because I am a former anorexic, controlling my body is second nature to me; doing it in a positive, healthy way feels good.

And I am starting training again next week, after we return from a dog-spaying rampage in Mexico, where gf will spay and neuter dogs while I hold their veins and fetch her coffee tea. For the first time in 3 years I will try a new trainer, and after two months off I am really looking forward to it. (I took time off around my surgery and because my karmawreck roommate is, like, bff with my former trainer I realized it would be better for me to "create some distance" with him.) This is good. And running. Running is good for my heart and my head, but not so much for my knees.

My longer-than-usual quiet can be attributed to nesting. Gf and I spent the weekend exorcising my apt of every last trace of the karmawreck and scrubbing every surface clean. We did errands, made lists, paid bills, did loads and loads of laundry. We organized closets, put whole bags of seldom-worn clothes out on the sidewalk for passers-by to take at will. I scrubbed the floor on my knees. I vacuumed the ceiling fans and dusted the blinds. Gf sterilized the entire bathroom with a paper towel and a cup of windex. It was like a rebirth for us-- being born into living together on our own terms. We went to the food co-op and bought a cornucopia of fall vegetables in their strident shades of orange and red and then spent too much money on exotic mushrooms at Union Market.

But it was worth it: for dinner I made red kuri (which is a beautiful deep orange squash that looks like a smaller, vibrant pumpkin and tastes like chestnuts) caramelized pearl onions and oyster mushrooms, and gf topped it all off with Israeli salad, which included mango-- a touch that I have to say, despite my initial reservations, was quite lovely.

And throughout it all, AF accompanied us both-- which just added to the cathartic fresh-start feel that I think we both needed so badly.

Let's hope tomorrow brings the whole country a fresh start.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to be of service! It sounds like you are on a healthy track--I love it.
    Have a great time in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing that work in Mexico! So awesome!

    I hear ya. Coffee has been so hard for me to give up. I think I'm in a permanent state of withdrawal from it. Not only did I love the taste, I looked forward to it each morning. Replacing it with tea is kind of like replacing chocolate with celery.

    Nesting is awesome, especially in the fall. Enjoy yourselves!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.