Monday, March 25, 2013

Jumping in

It was easy to write the first post.  The second is harder: what merits a post?  I'm out of practice and being sleep-deprived is not helping.

As I mentioned, weaning is well underway at Chez Schroe, but the Boy is not on board at all. He loves his b00by (and indeed that was one of his first words, back when we could enumerate them). In the last two days we have gone to only bedtime nursing, which means instead of spending an extra hour in bed with him nursing, I am now up the moment the first real hunger pang hits him-- right about 5:30-- making pancakes, making coffee, making chitchat to distract him from the injustice of me reclaiming my own body.

But that's not the issue.  I know that we'll move on from this.  I know that we'll drop the night feeding eventually, too.  What worries me is not as much the nursing as the fixation.  Even though he knows there is no daytime b00by at all any more, he cannot seem to get himself to sleep without it holding, fondling, stroking it.  "Just hold, mommy, pleeeeeease!" he'll plead tearfully, an hour past his appointed naptime, the sheets damp with tears and his face sweaty and crusted with snot from his broken-hearted wailing. This is a full 2 months after we have given up all daytime nursing. Inevitably, I give in. Just today, I tell myself. He is exhausted, he needs to sleep. And just like that, he'll relax and stare off in a b00bful bliss, stroking my n*pples as he falls asleep in mere minutes. 

In other words, weaning off the nursing is going as well as can be expected; weaning from him from his tactile addiction is not going at all.  Can I expect this issue to resolve itself over time, or do I have to draw a hard line with him, and endure the toddler fury that will ensue?  Or should I assign Speedy and/or his babysitter, Mrs. F to get him to sleep at naptime and bed time?  Anyone else have a very short b00b-obsessed person in their household?

---
I am still catching up on blogs... so much to comment on, it's hard to know where to begin. But I feel compelled to comment on the tragic and unfathomable loss of Caemon.  I briefly posted on it last night then deleted the post because it seemed somehow presumptuous and self-serving.  All there is to say is that I feel deeply for the Reproducing Genius family and wish them the best with their process, both in grieving their loss and in moving forward with the TTC. 

1 comment:

  1. During and after night weaning, Isibel was not allowed near my boobs as she would steal a snack while she was "pretending" to drink or play with them. Three months into weaning she has been back to feeling my boobs to fall asleep for about a month and will steal a suck when I'm not paying attention. I tell myself that when / if I get pregnant, the discomfort will cause me to rebuff her again, but we will see. Yes, one boob obsessed toddler here too. Commiserations. It sucks. And is endearing and sweet at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.