I have missed you all, and have no good explanation for my prolonged absence other than busy-ness. With four hours of babysitting a day, between deadlines, dogs and blogs something had to go, and, sadly, it was my attention to the blogs. I will not make any promises about future performance, but I will state my intention to update more regularly and thoroughly because as it turns out, I am a good writer of things science and medicine, but a terrible documentarian of things baby and family, which is precisely the inverse of my investment in the matters. I am sure a therapist would have something to say about this, but I have neither the money, time or interest to find out what.
The past year has been pretty friggin' tremendous. Moving bumps (I moved from Brooklyn to the wilds of Northampton), and the dearth of decent restaurants, coffee shops and wine bars aside, the growth of The Boy and my life have been wonderful. He's talking nonstop, still nursing (when I brought up that he is getting too big and we had to find a good time to stop, he said, "No, mommy! I not big, I just little!"), and developing an ironic sense of humor that seems beyond his age.
I leave you for now with a recent of video of his interpretation of the Barney Song. I can't stand that purple dinosaur, but it gave me this moment that I absolutely cherish.
Thanks again for checking in, and I hope to be able to get back into the blogging spirit again as Spring has finally arrived and the darkness of the Winter (and the pall of the first year in a small town) has begun to lift.
Glad everything is well! My family entertains the possibility of one day moving from Chicago to Northampton! (We are at least 3 years from even considering it but it is on our short list of possible places to relocate). Your boy is SO cute! Time flies :) Welcome back!
ReplyDeleteTime does fly! Thanks so much. Can't wait to catch up with everyone. (May take some time!) Your Gus is adorable, too!
DeleteI'm embarrassed to say that I haven't checked in via email although I think about it, oh, at least once a month. :/ Glad to see an update, though! :)
ReplyDeleteMmmm... popcorn soup...
Man, just when I was going to put you on the "Naughty" list... ;-)
DeleteI am excited to catch up with you. I teared up a little when I watched your video and he read "mom & mommy"...Can't wait to see/read more.
we think about you guys often so glad to hear you're all settling in! the boy has grown so much since our meet-up last spring...looking forward to the next (esp now that we have a special guest to bring along!).
ReplyDeleteWow, I have a lot of catching up to do with you! I will start by updating my Reader settings. I have some reading to do now, if you'll excuse me...
DeleteYay you! I can't believe how big that child is. The video is so cute. I'm happy to catch up again! We have a Get Back To Mass plan (kind of a two year plan) but maybe we can see you all again!
ReplyDeleteI think my comment was just eaten. In sum: I'm so glad to see your update and I can't wait for more!
ReplyDeleteNot eaten... I was just slow at moderating. Thanks so much :) And, congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteHey! I have been thinking about reaching out to you or looking for you on Facebook, but I keep forgetting.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are all well. The boy is ridiculously adorbs!
My blog moved, too, BTW.
Thanks for the heads-up. I have been ruminating about Chicago schools lately, too. Ugh, I am glad to hear your school is safe but it is terrible what is going on there :(
DeleteGood to see you!!! xxoo
ReplyDeleteI missed you! Sorry to hear about G :( I have a lot to catch up on with your blog...Glad that you have company again, though. xoxo
DeleteSchroe! I did a double-take when I saw an update in my reader. (Reader! Why are you leaving us?) Your boy is the cutest ever. I love his singing and also the fact that he's sitting on the kitchen island making a huge mess and drawing on his legs with a colored pencil. Ha! Popcorn soup sounds delightful. Please do keep posting; I have missed you.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad J is still nursing. Juju too, just once a day but she is adamant about it. She has called milk about a dozen things since she started talking, these days it's "Mut" or "muck." :)
More posts and more videos please.
(Stupid blogger seems to think I'm anonymous even though I'm logged in-- this is Mama and Mummy.)
DeleteI'm so glad you are still out there!
We are working on getting rid of the a.m. nursing. Today was the first day I told him no, which means we were all up at 6! But that's ok. The AAP recommends nursing "as long as mutually desired"... and I gotta say, it's longer really mutual.
Yeah, we've ceded some ground, as J is extremely active, and unless we trashed every chair, stool, laundry basket, etc. in the house, he will find a way to get on the island. Ok, fine. Colored pencil? Yep... We did hide the sharpies, though!
So good to "see" you! Glad all is well, lady. The Boy is such a cutie :)
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you & congratulations!!
DeleteJust saw the comment above re nursing. yes, our leisurely mornings in bed are gone now that nursing is gone. It's brutal. And that scene on your island could have been one out of our kitchen except that Isobel stands in her "tower" while she makes soup and sings and then she gets down and draws all over her legs and arms and toes. It's fun though!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear from you! It would be good to hear more about your lives, even without good food and coffeshops :(
and how you are all faring!
Big hugs!
xox
Thanks :) You make me feel better about my surprisingly (for me) nonchalant attitude toward things like kitchen islands and inky skin :) Can't wait to read more about life with Isobel, too. Sounds like she & J are two of a kind!
DeleteShroe!! Been wondering if you were gone for good. Great to hear from you and what a cutie he is! Hope to read more from you!
ReplyDeleteI meant to tell you...a couple of months ago we had an Unfortunate Piggyback Incident leading to Nursemaid's Elbow. Somehow I remembered your long-ago post and when I found it, I knew that is was exactly what we were dealing with. Sadly, it was not an at-home fix for us, but at least I knew what to tell the ER doc. Great to hear from you & am looking forward to catching up!
DeleteShroe! You're back!
ReplyDeleteYEAH! Welcome back! Ive missed your wit! It feels like forever since we saw The Boy, he (and Izzy) have grown so much! We'd be up for a playdate if you find yourself on this side of the state -- otherwise, I look forward to reading along!
ReplyDelete