Thursday, September 9, 2010

Welcome to the third trimester

I did the math every way I could: weeks, months,  trimesters.  While nothing lines up in this maddening world of pregnancy math, here's what I have decided:  Human gestation is approximately 280 days; one-third of that is 93.333 days, ergo each "trimester" is 93.333 days, which is 3 gestational months.  Which means I am now in my seventh month and third trimester.  Which is...wow...sh*t, we have a lot of work to do. 

Things are going well, overall.  I worry about Speetus kicking-- is it often enough; is it strong enough?-- but since there seems to be a lot of inconsistency across different women in this respect, and there seems to be an internal consistency with the amount/strength of Speetus' movement within me, I am thinking it is probably fine.  I just haven't suffered any of those kicks that "take your breath away." At all. But Speetus bumps, jostles, tumbles, and sometimes seems still for long stretches. While Speedy can feel the twitching and thumping, I have never felt like I have an "angry house cat" in my uterus.  And I guess that's fine, as long as everything is fine with Speetus.  [I am kind of seeking reassurance here:  is that fine?  Or does everyone else have angry house cats?]

Thank you for your feedback on the doula/stroller situation.  I definitely have a better idea of what to ask when I meet with potential doulas this weekend...and yes, I will carve out some time to go to the dreaded Babies "R" Us store (oh gawd, no!) to test drive strollers.  I have steadfastly refused to register at BRUS or similar because, well, because I am a contrarian like that and I don't want junk mail and formula packs and special offers or Parents Magazine* to be piling up in our mailbox.  But 20% off is tempting nonetheless...  Still, ugh! 

(*Full disclosure:  I used to work at a now-defunct magazine that billed itself as "Lifestyle for Parents" or some such nonsense.  It was down the hall from the actual Parents Magazine, and we shared a color printer.  But the point is that those rags are written by the same byotches that I loathed in high school, and I know all too well that the editorial content -- such as it is-- exists solely to provide ad space for overpriced plastic crap dressed up as "every parent must have" items.  So, no.  Please, no.)

Other than the holy-shit-I'm-in-the-third-trimester! moment I had today, there's nothing much to report here, which I think is good.  The weather has cooled down enough that Speedy and I are probably going to start cooking again some time soon (after an entire summer of salads and crackers), so I will hopefully be returning to the recipe-posting days of yore.  Hooray!

11 comments:

  1. Yay! Go 'head with your bad third trimester self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very precise trimester calculations! I thought we had until tomorrow. :)
    It is a bit overwhelming though, isn't it? We are heading into the final stretch. We'll be parents before the year is out. Yikes!

    No angry housecat over here either. Just consistent kicks and bumps and turns every day. I figure as long as the baby is moving every day then things are going well. :) Pain doesn't need to be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. I love your calculations. Joey and I also get all baffled when we try to determine how pg she is based upon lmp, due date, transfer and etc. Ah well, welcome to trimester 3!!

    Only in the last couple of days has Joey experienced a few kicks that were actually sharp and painful. Mostly she has to focus in and pay attention to notice their movement--- and she has 2 in there. Speetus is simply being kind to his/ her mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Trimester 3! I think the angry housecat phase is coming shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way! 3rd tri already! And I agree about the parents' magazines. Sometimes I get sucked into reading them at the doctor's office and they are just such drivel. Must remember to bring a book...

    I suspect those angry house cat kicks will be there before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 33 weeks with an anterior placenta and have had no angry cats or breathless jabs. I get reassuring kicks and such but nothing too dramatic. It's different for different ppl I think!
    Good to know about that magazine! We went to BRUS and bought a stroller / car seat combo last Sunday. it was surreal!!! We don't have the same criteria so I can't advise. Look online for coupons - they have lots for different things!
    That place is scary - I'm just warning you! Women will stop you and tell you their story or ask when you're due. It's like belonging to some weird stepford wives club for a minute.
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 3rd trimester! I wouldn't have described our boy's movement as 'angry housecat,' but there are certainly more kicks and punches coming your way ;) I do remember towards the end, Nutella said he would 'roll' and it sometimes took her breath away or made her nauseous. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were a lot of baby movements that I saw on the ultrasound, but never felt. My OB told me not to bother with kick counts or anything like that because it would just stress me out and make me crazy. Whenever I needed reassurance that the babies were okay, I'd either sit still, or lie down with some icy water. I'd take a big gulp of water, and that seemed to get a good kick / punch or two out of the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay third trimester! And don't worry - I think you are right to be focusing on Speetus' usual routine rather than any standard measures of movement. Because you are not having any ol' standard baby! You're having a very specific Speetus. I never felt any big 'angry house cat' movements, just lots of gentle kicks and stretches, and that strange wriggling feeling as though you've got a goldfish set loose inside you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I decided to go by my slightly annoying "What To Expect" iPhone ap - and it told me I was in my 3rd trimester on the first day of week 27. Woo hoo!

    The "kicking" comes and goes for me. Some days he is nonstop. Then he'll be quiet and I'll wonder what's up. Very rarely is he an angry housecat. More the goldfish feeling. It *is* pretty cool to see him punch out my stomach from the corner of my eye every now and then. I have a feeling you'll start to feel it more and more.

    We made our first trip to BRUS on Saturday, which nearly caused a mutual panic attack! I blurted out, "it's all...so...UGLY!" I feel your pain. But a deal's a deal, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower, so I wanted to say hello! Happy 3rd tri and Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.