Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We were in Maine.

...And now we are back. Still catching up on blogs.

 A lot happened in Maine, and nothing.   It was Speedy's first time to the place that I have been going since I was a child, the same place that my mother has gone since she was a child.  I don't know if the generations before went or not, but it is some place special and remote and further from the cares of civilization than you would expect for an $89 Jetblue flight from JFK and an hour's drive from Portland.

I have been remiss in going to Maine for the last several years, always too busy or too broke.  Coming back I couldn't fathom how I had let it go for so long. It is all ocean and rocky shores, pine trees and the smell of salt and dirt.  It is seaweed on the beach and sand in your hair and scratches on your legs from the seagrass and wild raspberries that line the paths. 

We were only there for a few days, but it felt like a settling in my soul.  We are more sure than ever that we need to get out of the city, to some place that nourishes us by letting us be free.  Here, we are so tied down by our list of daily chores and work that we rarely have a moment to just savor our life or each other.  In Maine, that is all we did from the time we got up in the morning until we went to bed (happily early) at night, in the deepest darkest quiet either of us could remember for a very long time, the only sound the rhythmic crashing of waves on the rocks.

I know we can't retire just yet, but we need to simplify-- we need to have jobs that don't feel like drudgery; we need to have a mortgage that doesn't feel like a life sentence.  We need to live somewhere that smells of pine and dirt, where the sun and rain are not just ideas refracted off of buildings.  I want to be where I can go outside barefoot to feel the chill of water coming up from mossy earth, somewhere that doesn't need to be filtered or explained, just experienced.

...ANYWAY..seems like I missed some things, like OH HEY people giving birth and stuff!  A big congratulations to Chronicles.  And, while I am at it, go send love & encouragement to Oh, Chicken over at We Are Fambly because she is laboring right this very minute! Meanwhile, Cookin' is still waiting-- sending her lots of patience and fortitude.

As for the Speetus report, well, I definitely feel like I made the transition from the "pregnant, who me?" second trimester to the "HOW many more weeks do I have to do this?" third.  Oh, I am all kinds of grateful, and really this has been as easy as pregnancies get if I am to believe everything I read, but things are starting to feel a bit crowded, and I am barely buttoning Speedy's biggest pants these days.  It's just a matter of time before I resort to the dreaded panel pants... (No!No!  I cannot.  I WILL not!)  Nights I am back to peeing once or twice before the alarm, and days my back aches and moans and sometimes I swear I think my ribs are stretching.

I had a midwife appointment today, and all was well, except that I was chastised for gaining six pounds in four weeks.  Really?  Does that seem like too much?!  All the books say 1-2 pounds a week, and that's right there in the middle.  But I know I should maybe lay off the ice cream (which will be easier now that it is cooler). Truth is I think Speedy loved feeding me extra large portions of Ben & Jerry's as much as I loved getting them, and now we both feel a bit chastened that our bad behavior has been called out.  *sigh*

Other than that, though, all is well in Speedy & Pinkyland.  Without going into too much detail, we have had some major discussions and breakthroughs in our relationship lately that have been a bit on the raw and tender side, but ultimately have made us much closer and stronger together.  This is very exciting for us both.  I love having such a wonderful woman as my partner and spouse, and the fact that our relationship is a living, growing, changing thing never ceases to amaze me.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Looks gorgeous. Was wondering where you had disappeared to. We've been having similar conversations about escaping the city, something neither of us ever thought we'd want to do. I'm not sure if it will ever happen, but at the very least a few days away sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! Ive never been to Maine but it sounds great!!! Happy to hear that all is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really lovely get away. We also have Discussions about leaving the city (LA here). I think we will probably at some point. It's just too hard here. Anyway, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes: welcome back!

    Rose and I have dreams of moving to Western Mass someday. I think there are enough of us to start a lesbian family commune.

    I'm impressed that you can button anything at all! Just the phrase "buttoning pants" makes my belly hurt. Panel pants, baby. Panel. Pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on escaping the rat race and drudgery! Maine sounds amazing! Don't do the panel pants - they are awful and fall down all the time! I like the under belly ones or even better the on the belly ones - JCPenney has some that I can still fit into.
    Sounds like your relationship is doing what it's supposed to be doing - continuously evolving! Great!
    Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll join the western MA commune too. I can bake, knit and sew.

    It sounds like an amazing trip and I'm glad your relationship is growing right along with your belly.

    6 pounds sounds 100% reasonable and I think that mw can shove it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! Also, PB wants to know what you have against panel pants? She's just started wearing them, and says that they are the most wonderful things ever. She even made me try on a pair, and I have to admit, they were pretty comfortable. Although, fortunately, rather loose on me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cats&Cradles.... :) My problem with panel pants... where to begin? I guess maybe part of the problem is that I refuse to buy them (because I don't want to spend money on anything that I will get less than 10 years' wear out of-- I am a Yankee like that.) So I am stuck with donated pps, which were maybe in fashion, well... probably never. While I am no fashionista, I tend to stick to the era-less Gap/J. Crew aesthetic, and these are much more of the Marchall's circa 1988 look. So there's that.

    And then there's my lack of hips, which creates a sort of fleshy funnel/slide for these pps to just slink down. The one time I attempted to wear them I was hitching them up all day, every time I stood up or walked a few steps, which made me feel even less thrilled about the vaguely acid-washed mom-jeans look I was trying to sprot with dignity.

    Meh. I am sure that there are better pps out there, but mine-- they are not going to be liberated from their shelf again except in case of severe clothing crisis!

    But indeed, the welts I am getting from Speedy's regular-wasited button & zip pants are no more attractive, but fewer people have to see them (and Speedy is in love with my pregnant body and doesn't seem to mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds just lovely. Glad y'all were able to get away.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.