Wednesday, September 22, 2010

UTIs, Yeast and BV, oh my!

Not  that I'm complaining...

I have had an easy pregnancy.  A 9.9 on a scale of ten.  No morning sickness, no heartburn, no major discomfort like the dreaded hemorrhoids or awful constipation.  About all I have really moaned about in the fatigue-- and hey, what with the extra weight and growing a baby and everything, that's to be expected.  They didn't build subways with pregnant ladies in mind, but I'm not blaming.

But I did realize that I neglected to blog about the trifecta of nastiness that I have had, namely:  a UTI, bacterial vaginosis (ick, and ew!) AND a yeast infection.  I am now to the point of paranoia that I kind of assume that these things are ongoing-- a recent culture of my pee showed lingering e. coli, and with all the secretions exiting my hoo-ha, it's really hard to say what's good and what's bad.  My original OB gave me antibiotics for the UTI which ended up leading to the yeast infection.  Then my first midwife suggested garlic cloves on dental floss.  I am kind of a hippy at heart, but, um...  I just couldn't do it. The second midwife gave me a scrip for the BV and the yeast infection which I think worked, but I am not sure.  But now the third midwife seems to think that the UTI probably will have to be retreated, which could in turn exacerbate the yeast problem again. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'd really like to NOT take an alternating regimen of antibiotics and antifungals for the rest of this pregnancy.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry, I've been there. It goes without saying that you should bump up your intake of good bacteria (probiotics). Maybe super frequent panty changes? Try to keep things dry down there? What about doing a hibiclens treatment course?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the UTI, maybe try good ol' fashioned cranberry juoce (for prevention)? AS far as antibiotics- I always always get a yeast infection when I take them, so my doc prescribes a pill for the yeast right when prescribing the antibiotic. I don't know if thats feasible when preggo, but you could ask. Sounds like you're really dealing with a lot down there, haha. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the joy of YI early on..I was given one does of antibiotics and told to start a regular regimine of pro-biotic/ acidophilus. I got a great combo pill from Trader Joes, but Im sure you could find it anywhere. Since I've been on that, I've been "all clear" (at least I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have they recommended probiotics? I take probiotics anytime I am on antibiotics, but you have to space it out so you take the probiotic at least 2 hours after taking your antibiotic, and 1 hour before your antibiotic. That way the antibiotic does not kill off the probiotic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh - that sounds awful.

    I don't know if this will cure a bad yeast infection, but I've had luck with apple cider vinegar. I went through an annoying period of recurring yeast infections (in fact, I think it might have just been one long infection that never went away) and read that a sitz bath with some acv could help. Since I didn't have patience for a sitz bath, I filled a spray bottle with diluted acv and keep it in the shower. I give myself a few sprays (externally then use my finger to push it inside) when I feel symptoms coming on and it works really well. I've heard you can put a acv-soaked tampon in too but I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, i somehow missed your last post. maine sounds awesome and you're totally right, we should all figure out how to unchain ourselves from modern drudgery. sounds like you were really able to recharge.

    i don't have any advice about the girly parts issue. but it reminds me that once in college i got BV and my roommate gave me a giant "tattoo" (marker or inkpen, don't remember which) that said, "BV VICTIM". that's probably one of those things that's only funny in the middle of the night in a dorm room, but it still makes me laugh. sorry you're a bv victim, too. :)

    hope it stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least the garlic would keep vampires away from your cooter.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch and ew and sorry. That certainly is a trifecta! I haven't any advise but I can ceratinly share some sympathy. Getting sick while pregnant is just miserable. I think I would choose the antibiotics over the garlic however. That is serious hippie committment to go that far!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.