Friday, November 27, 2009

Americana

I am what I would describe as a "reluctant American". My birthday is Columbus Day and that galls me. For as long as I can remember, most of my friends (and lovers) have been from different countries, or first-generation immigrants. I have never liked fourth of July and all its jingoistic connotations nor have I felt that this country is chosen by the god I don't believe in to be extra-special. I don't think being American earns you any special rights and privileges and until very recently, was reluctant to confess my country of origin when traveling (There. I have baited the flame throwers. Come get me.)

It should come as no surprise that this atheist anti-nationalist vegetarian views Thanksgiving somewhat askance. My family never did more to acknowledge "The Day After Wednesday" as one blogger so eloquently put it, than reserve a table at the only open restaurant in town.

How fitting it is, then, that I have had all of my "real" Thanksgivings with the immigrant families of my lesbian lovers. First, Ex, whose parents are from Guyana, introduced me to the gluttonizing, football-watching claustrophobic agony of "real" Thanksgivings, and, more recently, Speedy and the Polish immigrant father and Korean immigrant mother and her sister, brother-in-law and three nephews. Strangely, while kim chee was present, the turkey still played the starring role. But the schmaltz was notably absent. After Mother-in-law got up to her elbows in the bird, extracting every last piece of edible meat, sister-in-law plunked it on the table and said, "So, go!" and with that the meal was begun. 15 minutes later, it was over. But the day-- almost in entirety, was pretty effin' amazing. First, nobody cried. Second, not many people yelled, at least not too much, and third, I was struck again and again that despite the HIGH levels of dysfunction I know too much about in the family, everyone was genuinely enjoying themselves and each other and the day was filled with love. Some of it was wrapped in razor wire and passive-aggressive jibes, but it was, nonetheless, love.


Yesterday was my first "real" Thanksgiving that I actually enjoyed.

Today we actually went to Macy's (THE Macy's at Herald Square) Black Friday at 5 a.m. It was fun in that I-never-have-to-do-that-again kind of way. We went as kind of a lark, and because last week, Speedy actually uttered the phrase "Sweetie, where is our sweater?" As in, we had ONE sweater, which we shared. So we went with a plan of action, a prioritized list and a budget. The good news: we now have more than one sweater, and I now have a winter coat suitable for the office (as opposed to the one I have been wearing, which was originally purchased in 1998 for a trek in Nepal.) And we have a new set of sheets so we don't have to keep the same-day washing and drying thing we had to with with the single set we had. We almost stayed within our budget and saved more than we spent, which made me feel really good, even at 7 a.m. when we finally walked out, laden with our goody bags.

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha enjoyed your post as an Aussie. I am always bemused by your culture - and at the same time inspired!
    I actually just celebrated my first ever thanksgiving at work this week as a special gift to a visiting colleague from New York. It was fun.

    Don't know what Black Friday is but guessing it is the sales after Thanksgiving. If it is anything like our Boxing Day sales (day after Christmas in Australia) then it's CRAZY and you are both CRAZY and brave yourselves for going!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you got to go to THE Macy's!!! What a wonderful place to do Black Friday shopping :)

    (I live in the land of outlet malls and people come from all around to shop...I stay farrrrrr away)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm similarly anti-American and have no patriotism whatsoever. The supreme irony? My birthday is July 4th! Heh. Glad you had an unexpectedly lovely holiday. And great shopping deals. I've never done black friday but it sounds like madness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post cracked me up. Sometimes I get too caught up on our own defunct history as a country to be able to see how other people enjoy holidays so steeped in oppression. This is why this story is so awesome. Leave it to immigrant families to show you a good time at Thanksgiving. At Chefy's house in New Orleans there was Ponsit, Gumbo, Collard Greens and Deep-fried Turkey. Talk about a melting pot..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so conflicted about Thanksgiving at times. I hate the Thanksgiving myth, and the fact that so many people really buy into it. But my family really comes together over food, so our Thanksgiving spread is always amazing. I hate to admit it, but I'm easily won over by food.
    Glad to hear that you scored big at the Black Friday sales. I wasn't brave enough to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, feel similarly to you. The origins of holidays can be maddening, so I just try to look at them like the commercialized phenomenons they are. I'm a Jew who gets excited for Christmas lights and sparkly trees. An anti-patriot who enjoys the turkey and cranberry. But "birth of the savior" and extermination of native peoples? No cause for celebration there.
    - Strawberry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of you having only one sweater! Funny! and as an English Gal abroad I have all kinds of mixed feelings about these American holidays. Mostly I enjoy them for the days off they provide, and time to get together with 'family' but I don't feel the slightest bit teary eyed about them.
    Btw your comment on my blog made me laugh out loud! Who knew raspberry jam and peanut butter were so lethal?!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.