Sunday, July 3, 2011
On the go
Life is suddenly fun and terrifying; the boy has perfected his crawling and is now working on his speed.
He is all action now, still frustrated that his ambition to move far exceeds his ability. He's sitting, he wants to stand; he's crawling, he wants to walk; he's cruising, he wants to run. Mama pick me up, mama put me down. Mama I need you, mama let me go!
One minute I am blearily pouring coffee (ahh, addiction, how swiftly you return!) and FLASH the boy is under the table, attempting to pull up to standing. I scoot him back toward the relative safety of the living room floor, and FLASH, he's standing, holding on to the bewildered (but very patient dog). I redirect him toward the blocks and pots and pans we have scattered for his amusement on the floor, and return to the kitchen for my toast and BANG, he's knocked over a pile of books and papers.
He gets fussy and crabby from hunger, but doesn't want to miss anything and refuses to nurse anywhere but our darkened bedroom.
Yesterday we spent the day at Ex's house on the beach and he refused to eat all day (save for gumming some grilled chicken and veggies), and we actually had to leave so that I could get him home to nurse. My b00bs were on the verge of exploding.
But the mobile boy is so much fun. I put him in the kiddie pool, and he sat in his baby float happily scooting around in the water trying to scoop up all the floating toys. He would have stayed in for hours if I had not scooped him out when he started shivering. Even so, as soon as he warmed up, he insisted on being put right back in.
On the way home he started screaming in his car seat. We assumed it was hunger and pulled over (well, what was meant to be a quick pull-over ended up with us on a bridge to another borough, but that's another story) and he did nurse but continued to be inconsolable for the rest of the drive. Only when we got him back did we discover the fantastic amount of poop in his pants and his angry red butt. How is it, six months in, we can still forget the basic three (hungry, tired, dirty diaper) when trying to figure out what is bothering him?! Are we baby-challenged?
Next week he starts swim lessons-- something for us to do together on the long weekend days that Speedy is now working. (Her new schedule has us working opposite days-- me during the week, she on weekends.) Judging from his enjoyment of the kiddie pool, it should be a blast!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


How is he that big already!? I love your description of J wanting to e everywhere and doing everything at once. How is your gate/baby proofing/baby jail situation?
ReplyDeleteThe pool sounds awesome. I am already shopping for suits for baby L. I cannot WAIT to take her swimming. Lots of cute swim lesson pics, please.
he sounds like so much fun! i love my snuggly boob man, but i can't wait for him to become more interactive! :)
ReplyDeleteLove this guy! After meeting him I'm not at all surprised that he's become so mobile so fast. Love the swim lessons. I'm sure he'll be a natural.
ReplyDeleteHe is sounding so "toddler-y" already- wow. Re: the car incident. We've done that before...makes you feel so damn guilty. Although I feel less guilty when it happens more recently because he can actually TELL us now and sometimes he just doesn't :P
ReplyDeletePS- I recognize that romper!!!
Oh, M&M, the baby jail situation is terrible! We are waiting on a safety gate installation package to arrive (our stair entry has walls at odd angles to one another) and in the meantime we are shoving the pack n play in front of the stairs and just keeping an eagle eye on him. We shove the coffee table in front of the tangle of wires that supports our computer/stereo system to prevent him fron bee-lining straight to that, but it seems like he can immediately sense the LEAST baby-friendly item in the room and is drawn to it like a moth to flame.
ReplyDeleteBag strap dangling tantalizingly off chair? Allow me to attempt to pull entire bag + chair onto my head.
The edge of a plastic bag hanging out of drawer? Let me pull it out and attempt to place in my mouth and over my face...
Filthy dog bowl? WAAAAY more fun for banging than clean pots and pans, and, hey, who is that cute baby? Perhaps I can lick through the caked on layers of dog saliva to see my reflection more clearly...
Yeah. Erm. We have room for improvements...
I am just dreading baby proofing! We live in an 800 sf condo, two story, with an open plan living room. I cannot fathom how I am going to gate off the kitchen area. Or the litterbox. Or the (glass front) TV cabinet. Perhaps I should put some thought into those things now, while I have time, rather than going out of my mind waiting. :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck! J sounds like such a super fun baby, with the cutest little personality. A bit of a hellraiser, yes, but in a good way.
That is one active little boy! Crawling already, pulling up already, eating lots of different foods. Wow.
ReplyDeleteUm...I think Jonas just might be a littled advanced. hehe :)
Awesome.