Friday, January 9, 2009

Setting Limits

So gf and I had a big Talk about my anxieties about being consumed by this process. I am afraid that this TTC thing could take over our whole lives if we let it; I have this deep fear that my body is not going to do this for me, and I have visions of round after round of IUIs giving way to round after round of IVF, and becoming this horribly depleting, terrifying and depressing all-consuming THING that the rest of my life barely fits around. I don't want to go there. I want to know that we are giving it a try, but I also want to know that we know when to say "enough".

Unlike many ttc'ers, I am not someone who grew up dreaming of pregnancy, I was not the girl pushing a stroller full of dollies down the supermarket aisle. When my friends started having babies and trying to hand them to me while they were still red-faced and raw from their passage, I would recoil-- not that I don't like babies, but I don't have baby-lust, and my fear of dropping or somehow maiming them far outweighed my desire to hold them.

Can I imagine life in a family unit of two (+animals)? Yes, pretty easily.

So I need limits on this undertaking. I need to know that this will not bring us to a breaking point emotionally, financially and physically. I want to give it the good ol' college try and if it doesn't work out, I want to move on and plan a life for two, or maybe adopt.

With that covered, we made the following plan:

- I will call Dr. B. and we will go over the current State of My Uterus.
- We will explain to him our outlook and that we want to start inseminating in July-ish.
- We will do whatever prep work necessary (blood tests, pre-nates.)
- We will make our limits known. I have alway had in my mind the number eight. Lucky or not, it is about the limit to what I think I can bear without risking my health- financially, physically and emotionally.
- With that set out, we will undertake a plan that is as aggressive as we are all comfortable with to try to acheive pregnancy within that time. C.lom!d, ok; trigger shots, meh. Maybe. All the other ovary-plumping, follicle-pushing options will be taken under consideration.
- If, after eight IUIs, we have nothing but a string of BFNs and a depleted bank account, at this point the plan is to take a trip and look at other options-- adoption, or a life of travel and adventure as a family of two. Of course, we can re-evaluate and maybe push harder if we both want to. But right now, eight is enough I think.

I wanted to write this down to have it to refer back to, in case I forget.

By the way, I know that some of you reading have already passed eight, and I don't want in any way to insinuate that I think you are going too far or that you should give up, move on. I think everyone has to do what is right for them, and I have absolutely nothing but the best hopes for everyone going through this process, whatever point they are at. I just want to set my own totally arbitrary limits to the real, but manageable (at least so it seems from here, but who knows?) effort of eight IUIs.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you have had this conversation and come to these conclusions. Everyone should make the choices and set the limits that they feel they can live with. We did it as well, and while success happened within our timeframe/budget, I always felt good that we had those limits in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's great to have a plan, a limit. when we started, our limit was that we'd stop once we had a baby. that's not a great limit to have because the line keeps getting farther and farther pushed back. i just never thought it would take this long so a timeline seemed unimportant.

    eight is definitely enough. that's a lot of heartbreak to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can speak for Eight is Enough. I like your plan and as everyone has said, it's good to have a plan and to know your limits.
    However, I am highly in favor of trigger shots.
    PM me and we'll talk more about the FPB....

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.