Saturday, May 21, 2011

missing her



The short story is that my wonderful dog, Ozzie, passed. 
The long story is that she had a terrible spinal tumor, and despite aggressive surgery, it came back with a vengeance.  After a week or two of being better, she became increasingly painful, and increasing the meds only made her nauseous and unhappy.  I never really thought that it would come back so quickly, so when I woke up one day to see that look in her eyes I was shocked and devastated—she looked just tired, defeated, and done. I was not making it up.  Even though she was walking okay in the morning, by noon, she could not walk. She did  not want to eat, so we took her off the meds, gave her a dose of Xanax and pain relievers and spent all day feeding her her favorite foods—rotisserie chicken, ice cream and cheese.  All of her best human and animal friends were with her.  My ex, who adopted her with me, came to see her, and so did my best friend who had known her since she was a puppy. In the end, she had a wonderful day.  Her sister came and lay down next to her before they gave her the shot.  She was surrounded by her loved ones at home and feeling comfortable and safe.

21 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so so terribly sorry. It sounds like you really did give her such a lovely day. What a loved dog she was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful way to go! May we all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry. I too know that "look" when we had to put our cat down. You gave her the best day in her end and she is no longer in pain and for that you should feel greatful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god, I am so very sorry. It sounds like Ozzie had a wonderful day with you and felt how much she was loved. Big hugs to your family :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tears in my eyes reading your post... I am so sorry she's gone. I feel like this is the worst part about being a pet owner, knowing that in the end it is your responsibility to help them pass peacefully. It sounds like you did that and more, and like she knew she was very well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's one of the hardest things in the world to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about the death of your beloved Ozzie. You gave her a wonderful life, a great last day and sent her off to the next world surrounded by loved ones. It still sucks big time though:(
    So sorry for your loss and the missing of her.
    That is a beautiful picture of her lying in the grass looking like all is right with the world.
    ((Big big hugs to you all))

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh schroe, ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry she died, but I only wish that all such passing could happen with such love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry to hear about your pup. she was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so very sorry. It's so hard when we lose members of the family that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your family. Reading your post puts me right back there. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so, so sorry. Glad that she was able to be surrounded by those that love her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Ozzie! There are no words that can ease the pain of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry. It always hurts, losing someone you love. Still, I'm sure she had a good life with you, and from everything you've said, she couldn't have had a better death. We should all be so loved, and so lucky. (*hugs*)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in tears. Losing a pet is heartbreaking. I'm thinking of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Schro, so sad. She's just beautiful - I loved your stories on the next post about her chilled out laziness. This is grief, she was part of your family, even if she's not human. Uncomparable, immeasurable like all grief. It's clear you made a good life for her and let her go in the best possible way. Sending lots of love. xxxh

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry.

    What a perfect way to go, though. After having to put my first cat to sleep at the vets, I vowed never to do that again. My Yoshi hated the vet more than most and I was so glad we were able to her put to sleep at home.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry about your loss. I hope photos and memories help you remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Troll Control. Your genuine thoughts are welcome. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately. I may be otherwise occupied.